Webinar III - Ethical Issues in Professional Patient Advocacy
1.5 hours CEs
In the third part of the PPAI webinar training series, expert trainers Cathy and Jeanne zero in on ethical issues that arise in the domain of professional patient advocacy, as well as the essential, and complex, area of end-of-life care. This installment equips the patient advocate with the necessary information to successfully navigate these often complicated issues and life stages.
The training program will give the advocate working knowledge on the following areas:
- Autonomy: Respecting the patient's right to self-determination.
- Beneficence: How to promote good practices (and outcomes).
- Justice: Maintaining what is right and fair.
- No malfeasance: Do no harm
It will also help the practitioner:
- Explain coverage stipulations, alternatives for uncovered services.
- Identify specific services the client needs.
- Assist the patient in navigating the system to meet his/her needs as agreed.
- Make a referral to Advanced CCM or GCM when appropriate.
- Assist patients and families to get advanced medical directives in place.
- Advocate for the patient for implementation of the RMD to be activated when appropriate/to eliminate futile and painful care at end of life.